Using projectdoc with a non-supported locale (language) works, but lacks some of its features. This short topic provides some details on this matter.
The projectdoc Toolbox provides tools that access properties from projectdoc documents. Properties in document instances are not accessible by the internationalization key (e.g.
projectdoc.doctype.common.doctype for the document type of the document), but only by the localized name of the property (e.g. 'Doctype' or 'Dokumenttyp').
The projectdoc Toolbox currently only supports the locales
en (English, default, not supported by the V-Modell XT doctype add-on) and
Users who need to translate the properties in a different language need to know:
- projectdoc assumes the site locale for all translations (that is users cannot use spaces for different languages in one instance)
- If a property name has been localized (e.g. 'Nombre' instead of 'Name') the tools relying on the property will assume it is not present if the localization information is not installed to the Confluence server
It is not possible to have projectdoc support languages other than the one specified in the site locale.
Note that problems usually arise if the user or browser is set to a different locale. This is because some macros render depending on the user's or browser locale at request time.
Workaround: The templates a blueprint is based on may be translated at space level. This way the template of a blueprint for the site locale "English" could be translated in a space to e.g. "German" (see Blueprints Cannot Be Configured to Use Non-English Languages). But for use cases where the system needs to access a certain property or section by name, these properties / sections must be available in both languages. This approach may not be valid for all use cases and needs to be tested thouroughly before being rolled out.
If you happen to need to use a different locale than
de, then the article Internationalising your plugin provides some additional information on how to accomplish this.
- If you would like to provide your own localization bundle to provide translations for property and section names, smartics-projectdoc-confluence-l10n on Bitbucket provides a way to get started.
- If you would like to provide translations for this project, please get in touch! We'll mention you as contributor for a given locale in the POM file.
- Note that this will only translate a subset of the keys. If you need access to the full localization file (for translating e.g. also wizard and instructional texts), please get in touch! Note that localization bundles for doctype add-ons are available on Bitbucket. If you need to translate these the simply add the keys of the properties file from a doctype add-on project to the properties file in your fork of smartics-projectdoc-confluence-l10n.
This is the list of resource keys projectdoc understands and uses to access properties (and sections) from a document instance.
This list presented here is not regularly updated and should be considered to provide an overview.
The properties file with this information is part of the add-on bundle (OBR) inside the projectdoc Toobox JAR file at
More information on internationalization (I18N) and Localization (L10N) for Confluence.