The blueprint of the arc42 Template creates a tree of pages in the Confluence space.
The arc42 Template provides detailed information about the architecture of the system. The template is the central document for the system or software architecture description. It creates the software architecture documentation (SWAD) which is organized in chapters.
By following the defines layout, teams have an easier task organizing the information according to their architecture. Using the same approved structure for all projects lowers the amount of work and therefore increases productivity.
The document type swad provides the following properties:
Please note that only information about specific properties is provided here. Common document property used by all document types are documented by Document Properties.
The property refers to an overview document that contains a subset of information from the software architecture documentation.
A reference to a view on the software architecture documentation with all chapters on a single long page. This is an alternative view to the on on this page where the chapters are only referenced.
Provide an overview over the information on this document. Readers may decide on this description if the document contains relevant information to them.
Provide a summary of the documents structure and key points. This is an informative abstract typically of about 100 to 200 words.
The list of chapters of the arc42 Template.
The chapters of the arc42 Template.
The first chapter of the arc42 Template with information on requirements, quality goals, and stakeholders.
The second chapter of the arc42 Template with information on constraints and conventions.
The third chapter of the arc42 Template with information on context and external interfaces.
The fourth chapter of the arc42 Template explains the solution idea.
The fifth chapter of the arc42 Template with information on the local building blocks, and their dependencies and relationships.
The sixth chapter of the arc42 Template with runtime information about the architecture.
The seventh chapter of the arc42 Template with information about how the system is deployed.
The eighth chapter of the arc42 Template with conceptional information about the system.
The ninth chapter of the arc42 Template that explains the architecture decisions that led to the system.
The tenth chapter of the arc42 Template that lists scenarios to systematically evaluate the architecture against the quality requirements.
The eleventh chapter of the arc42 Template lists risks and technical debt.
The last chapter of the arc42 Template lists terms of the domain and explains them.
More information on the arc42 Template is available on its original homepages.
- projectdoc Add-on for arc42 - provides doctypes to document a system or software architecture based on the arc42 Template. The homepage for the add-on based on the projectdoc Toolbox.
- arc42 Documentation - 108 tips how to use the arc42 template.
- http://arc42.org/ - the English version of the original homepage of arc42 with online documentation for the arc42 Template.
- http://arc42.de/ - the German version of the original homepage of arc42 with online documentation for the arc42 Template.
- https://arc42.github.io/ - download the arc42 Template in different formats.
- arc42 Template (EN) - the English version of the arc42 Template on GitHub in AsciiDoc format.
- arc42 Template (DE) - the German version of the arc42 Template on GitHub in AsciiDoc format.